Saturday 5 March 2016

Road to MD: The Beginning

So, if you're reading this, you probably know who I am. Either you're my friend or you saw a post of my friend sharing one of my blog posts (because I honestly ask them to share my posts). Or maybe you just happened to pass by my blog (if you did, share it!). Well, anyway, if you don't know me, you might as well know that I am going to take up medicine.

So before I start telling you about the journey, I want you all to know the history of how I made a decision.



When I was in elementary or so-called "grade school" in other countries, I wanted to become a nurse. I've always fancied the feeling and thought that I could help people out or giving care to those that are in need. And although at that time, people told me that nurses are just doctor's helpers (this infuriated me whenever I think about it from my RN point of view), I still wanted to be able to help.


In high school, my dream upgraded when things started to clear up in my fuzzy head. A doctor. That's what I wanted to be. Being a doctor could bring a whole new level in helping people. Of course, I wasn't 100% set on about it, given that I was still in my first few years of high school. What triggered my goal was when my grandfather got sick and passed away. As well as my grandmother and two uncles... The feeling of helplessness and worthlessness surged within me. That was the time that I was at least 89% sure of my goal.


Fourth year of high school came and we had to deal with college applications already. And as a big-headed person I was (kidding!), I only applied to four universities: University of the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle Univesity Greenhills, and University of Santo Tomas. At that time I didn't know what my pre-med will be but I told myself that I'll choose a pre-med that I could still fall back on if the medicine thing will not push through. I asked God for assistance that time. So far, I could only remember two of my randomly selected pre-meds: Nursing and Pharmacy.


Before each day of the four entrance exams, I asked God to help me pass the exam of the university that was meant for me or whatever that is written in His plans. As you might want to know, I got in UST College of Nursing (and now a full-pledged RN!!!). Looking back, I had three signs: It rained during UPCAT;  I got late for Ateneo's exam since there was an accident in front; and I had an intense case of dysmenorrhea on my DLSU exam. During my USTET, it was sunny and I was...in peace. God really did plan it all out for me, huh?


Anyway, enough of that (I know you got bored! Sorry!). During my years in nursing, I became completely and 100% sure I wanted to be a doctor. No matter how hard it was to pass the cut off. No matter how average I was compared to the others. No matter what the others say to bring me down. No matter what challenges I had to face. No matter how hard it was for me to study for NMAT and still be able to catch up with lessons. No matter whatever, I still wanted to be a doctor.


I want to be able to help my family. Since we have a lot of genetic predispositions, I want to know more about it and know more how to act on it. I also want to help the less fortunate. More than 3 years of clinical duty in different hospitals will open your eyes to this. I want to be able to help them for free or for a lesser price. I want to be able to open a clinic in my mum and dad's hometown. I want to be able to do a lot of things...mainly to help. Cliche as it may sound but it's the damn truth. Not the money. Not the title.


And that is it, guys. That is the history of how I decided to pursue medicine. Don't hesitate to join me on my journey. I'll be sure to post more soon about my life in medicine! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment